Friday 13 January 2012

Guest And Fish Stinks At Third Day


Czech food is meaty. It is heavy to some. A difficulty if you are looking for kosher food. Even harder if you are a vegetarian. Below is about as vegetarian as you can get. Potatoes cooked in six different ways. Actually fried in six different ways - chips, hash browns, rings, croquettes, pommes duchesse, and one I had never seen before. On top of this is some coleslaw, some potato salad, some red cabbage and a couple of salad leaves.


But who's complaining?(apart from the vegetarians those who have to eat kosher food). I like Czech food. It is very tasty. Pork schnitzels, Serb pork, Moravian pork, pork with cottage cheese, pork with sauerkraut and dumplings. All excellent.

Every morning at 7am, I was awoken in our guest house by a pungent smell. It was a family run b&b and the elder members of the family did the cooking. I woke to the smell of goulash soup being freshly made with strong garlic overtones. Rather like the Bisto Kid, I dreamily sought out the source by patrolling up and down the corridor in my dressing gown, eyes three-quarters closed.


The only trouble is that old greedy guts here has scoffed so much that I will be four kilos overweight on the way home. The Viet Cong always said that American troops and other Westerners smellt like rotten meat and could be sniffed from several miles away. that's what an old Australian Special forces veteran told me. they would use it to their advantage and when an American patrol went through, they would hang back and hide. Sure enough, more often that not, a group of Viet Cong soldiers would follow. The ambush was set.

So pity the person who has to sit next to me on the flight home. With little other food than pork inside me - I don't even want to hazard a guess about what I smell like.

No comments:

Post a Comment