Monday 30 July 2012

Big Stink At The Olympics And The NHS Car Park


As I was sitting in a hospital car park fuming at the parking charges, I had a Mitt Romney moment and contemplated what was coming out the backside of Number 10 Downing Street. If you are unlucky enough to have to dart into hospital and have to dump the car for a large period of time, then you will be faced with an eye-watering bill at the end of your visit for the privilege of parking.

Salt is rubbed into the wound when you notice that the next door car park by the football fields, which is a two minute walk to the hospital, is half the price of the hospital car park.


So though I felt that watching Danny Boyle's celebration of the NHS in the Olympic Opening Ceremony, with vintage dancing nurses and children trampolening on the beds was nice, but put an over rosy gloss on the leviathan institution, completely overlooking the underlying costs and financial difficulties.. It may well have engendered a feelgood factor in Britain, but the rest of the world must have been left wondering what the hell was that all about. Luckily The Queen, James Bond and Mr Bean saved the day.




It could have been worse. My own day was saved by the sign on the local football clubhouse I spotted. All thoughts of car parking charges evaporated as I contemplated about how difficult I had found it in the past to  clean the insides of my shoes. Personally, I always used Odour Eaters.

The simple things in life give the greatest pleasurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment