Friday 15 November 2013

Christmas Shopping Seems To Lack Its Usual Magic This Year

As I write this the Christmas Countdown clock stands at 39 days 12 hours 57 minutes 37 seconds 36 35 34 33 32 31 30 29...........

What the hell am I going to give people for Christmas? The thought is just starting to cause havoc inside and a panic attack is not far away. I'm sure I am one of many. And it is illogical to worry about such silly things, particularly with all the atrocious events happening in other parts of the world such as the Philippines where peoples thoughts must be on just getting through the day, let alone thinking of Christmas in 39 days time.

It is an uncomfortable feeling, I find, when you watch the latest, most expensive, fantasy adverts on telly where everything is perfect and wonderful you will feel when you open your wallet and buy into this false world of comfort.

What a hypocrite I am. Sitting here comfortably watching peoples misery on the other side of the world. But I guess you can only do your bit. The British public have been as generous as ever, donating over £30 million. Life will go on. Christmas presents will be bought, opened and enjoyed. But I just wonder if maybe people will be more selective this year and not buy the multitude of junk which is available. Maybe the balance will be adjusted a little where us lucky ones who have so much will give yet more to others who have nothing.

Me? Well I won't be giving useless, self indulgent presents like the painted bus I gave to my godchildren one year http://man-from-cantankerous.tumblr.com/ It was a bit of fun at the time. I don't know what I will give this year, but I am sure it will be with a deeper thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment