Wednesday 31 August 2011

Are You A 1p Sort Of Guy?

'Now I've seen it all,' said the motorist at the next door pump in the garage. 'What are you doing? Are you testing your camera? I've never seen someone taking a picture of a petrol pump before.'

I was taking a picture of the digital display on the front of the pump to illustrate an annoying point. Whenever I fill up I try to make the amount a round number like £20. But for some reason it always goes over by 1p. So in this case it became £20-01.

It has got so bad that I have now to carry round a cash bag of 1p bits. I have given up trying to make up the round number. I am convinced the petrol pumps are rigged to run over.

'No, no, dearie. You are wrong,' said the lady cashier, who war wearing blue pebble glasses. 'It's very simple. Either you do or you don't. Either you are or you aren't. You are just a  1p sort of guy.'

It's nice to know one's value in life.

2 comments:

  1. 1p bits

    Aren't they called pennies? Or dhould it be, weren't they called pennies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you are right Oram. 'bits' is my poor slang I personally use. 1p = 1 penny. Pieces would have been a better word possibly.

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete