Sunday 7 August 2011

A Bus Driver's Wishful Thinking Through Signs

Over the past few weeks there has been plenty of time for sitting in a corner and contemplating about life. Knowing me, I started trying to pull myself out of the negative side of grieving and all the dreadful things associated with my current circumstances, by concentrating on the message my father lived his life by.

He had this sign screwed to the wall by a mirror above his basin. He would have viewed it every morning whilst he shaved.

I remember him having this sign hand painted when I was a child, sometime in the mid1970's. It was years before the phrase became a national institution when Eric Idle wrote the song for the 1979 Monty Python's Life Of Brian.

I began to think laterally. What sort of sign would a bus driver wish to have above his seat, if everything in the world was possible? I could only come up with one possible sign which would encompass what is going on in most bus drivers' minds, behind the professional facade........................



Now that's not very nice.

1 comment:

  1. I saw the politer version on the electronic destination board of a GHA bus parked at a stand in Rhyl the other day. It read:-
    "Driver on break. Do not disturb"

    I've seen "Sorry, I'm not in service" many times before, but this is the first time for something so specific.

    ReplyDelete