Wednesday 16 June 2010

The Accidental Bus Driver Crunches His Mirror

I'm in the doghouse.

I caught the mirror on some trees coming out of a car park. It bent. The electrics stopped working. It's an expensive mirror, on the expensive bus I was let loose on with a local WI trip to the seaside.

"That'll be your mirror," was the helpful comment from the lady in row 3.

It's been coming for a long time. Each time I am in a near miss or see a dent in the bus made by another driver, I think there but the grace of God go I. In fact I saw a bus reverse into the front of another bus in a coach park last week. The thing which really amazed me was not so much the actual accident - that can happen to anyone, but by the reaction of the driver who was sitting in his seat watching a bus reversing into him and about to shatter his windscreen.

Now, call me an idiot, but I'd like to think if I was sitting in my driver's seat and saw a bus reversing periously close towards me, that I'd be out of that seat like a scalded cat or would be frantically sounding the horn at the least.

Yet there was nothing.

I drove by immediately after the collision to see the driver still sitting in his seat, looking quite unperturbed and methodically picking out shards of glass from his lap.

The lady in row 3 shook me out of my daydream. "Will that be deducted from your wages, dear?" she asked, half jokingly and half hopingly I suspect.

We'll see. Because the mirror was not broken, the amount of pain and bad luck will be restricted to seven months.

No comments:

Post a Comment