Saturday 25 June 2011

Accidental Bus Driver Suffers His Greatest Accident In Life

I was walking along the sands on a beach in East Lothian several weeks ago, when I came across this extraordinary object.

It is an unremarkable jellyfish, washed up on the shore. But as you will notice, its internal organs seemed to be in the shape of a cross. A purple cross, in fact not far removed from the St Cuthbert's Cross that you will see in Durham Cathedral, a place which I have strong connections with and feel is like my second home.

You can read what you like into this. A sign? A coincidence? Just a jellyfish. It will mean something different to everyone.

The day before yesterday my father was killed in a car crash.

It has been a torrid time for me, my family and all who know me. It has been cushioned by the most amazing outpouring of shock, grief, love and humanity to which me and my family have been privileged to witness in our lifetime. I cannot walk outside my door without someone appearing out of nowhere with a hug or a squeeze, some tears, or some flowers, and words either verbal or written.

I am truly grateful for two things.

1. Having a magnificent father who was loved by all and leaving a legacy of kindness and respect.

2. Living in an area and a country where the people are so caring, loving and kind. In all the bad press we read about, there is still an underlying greatness and warmth in Britain,.

So, that's enough of that. I am writing to all my kind readers to say that the Accidental Bus Driver is taking a small break. You will not want to read about the day to day happenings of someone going through a legal process rather than driving buses.

But I will be back. With more of the same. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

A bientot.

5 comments:

  1. Having read your blog for some time, I hope I'm not being presumptuous when I say I feel I was beginning to get to know you, and felt something of your sorrow when I read about your bad news.

    My thoughts are with you as you begin to go through this difficult period, and I'm sure you will have the support of many others you don't know but feel they share a bit of your life through this column.

    So - every Blessing, and when you feel ready to start posting again, I will certainly be ready to read you.

    Stuart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out thoughts as ever Tom for you and the family, we are truly sad over what has happened. I think it was only last week when in the cause of trying to touch base with you, I was chatting to Nicky. Always ready to pass the time of day. A truly human being.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sir,

    I too was saddened to read of your loss. You and your family are in my prayers.

    I wonder, sir, if I might seek permission to make a use of your wonderful jellyfish image? I'd be grateful if you would contact me so that I might seek permission properly.

    Kind regards

    TomD
    email: tom@eezypeazy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sorry to hear your sad news.

    Thoughts and prayers with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your comments. Writing will resume shortly.

    ReplyDelete