Wednesday 27 June 2012

Tales Of A 1980's Man Down Under - You Can't Stop The Music


1980 was a mixed year for music. Sydney's radio station 2SM was a proper radio station in those days with slogans like 'More Music', 'Rock Of The 8o's' and 'The Power'. These days 2SM has lost its dominance and   seems to concentrate more on chat and sport.

It was an international chart. Plenty from the States from There were some great Australian Bands around such as Australian Crawl, Mental As Anything, Cold Chisel, Flowers, Dugites, Little River Band and The Church. New Zealand bands Mi-sex and Split Enz, a mad Belgian band called The Veterans, Canadian Bruce Cockburn  and a host of Brit and American.


It was nostalgic looking at these lists. I began to hum every tune. I knew them all because I had a job of painting a roof with silver paint for two weeks.All I had was a pair of sunglasses, a paintpot and brush and a radio. I heard every song at least a dozen times during that time as I turned my brain off to do such a mindless job.


The job came to an end luckily just before Rocky Burnette could release his second single. But I have to begrudgingly admit that the the stint on a hot roof gave me a love for music and low and behold, ten years later I was spinning some of the same discs on a Hospital radio Station.

That was where I learnt some tact and discipline. It took me a while to work out why I couldn't play '(I just) died In Your Arms Tonight.' It took even longer to know why Frank Sinatra's My Way was forbidden too, until someone explained the lyrics:-

'And now the end is near;
And so I face the final curtain.....

....might not be the most appropriate tune to play in a hospital.

Ah. I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment