Saturday 17 July 2010

Good Yorkshire Hospitality

Author Barbara Taylor Bradford was once quoted in an article in the Yorkshire Post as saying: "Is there something unique about the Yorkshire character? I'd say it was strong and determined, very welcoming, genuine and hospitable."

I was sitting in my bus in a street outside a school near Wakefield, when there was a knock at my door. There was an elderly man at the door, in his cap or flat 'at as they call them down there. He was returning from the paper shop and had his newspaper rolled up under his arm.

"Ey up, driver. The pot'll be t'ready in t'five minutes. Just knock on door if ye'd like cuppa."

"I will do that. Which door at the school shall I come to? Front or back?" I asked thinking he was a teacher who has come to offer me a cup of tea.

"Nay lad," he said, "I live at number 27. It's just over hill, round t'corner. Pot will be waiting." He walked off.

I waited and three minutes later there was another knock on the bus door. Another gentleman wearing his flat 'at and with his newspaper rolled up under his arm waited there. But he had a concerned look on his face.

"Bah, you'll 'ave a long wait, driver. I 'ope you'll be alright." He walked off too.

I felt loved and cared for, even if it was by strangers in an alien place at 7am. My faith in humanity has been rekindled.

No comments:

Post a Comment