Tuesday 28 December 2010

Dogs On Buses Are Not Just For Christmas

It's quiet and peaceful.

A true bus driver's Christmas. No services. The schools are on holiday. The ordinary services are reduced and there are very few, if any, private hires.

It's paradise.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart," said Charles Dickens, "and try to keep it all the year." It could have been said by myself, in the perverted and unrealistic delusion that peace and goodwill will continue on the buses for the next twelve months.

It started on Christmas Eve with a 'shaggy dog' story. A tale about a frozen Cairn Terrier in Glasgow with icicles stuck to his hairy coat, who sought warm sanctuary on a bus, curled up and refused to move. Nothing like a shaggy dog story to warm the cockles of your heart.

Buses are often great places for dogs. Great for the odd dog fight too. Many times have there been snarls from the back of the bus and the odd bite. I even met my wife as a result of the dog I was holding outside the door of the double decker bus. The cuteness of the dog helped to divert attention away from the abrasive bus driver, and I have much to thank that dog for after thirteen years of marriage.

Here's a Happy Christmas link of how I might be decorating my bus next year

No comments:

Post a Comment